Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Future of Film Criticism

A blog post over at the Institute for the Future of the Book raises some interesting ideas about film criticism and new technology. Basically it asks the question: "why don't we use video technology to do film criticism? Wouldn't this be superior to trying to talk about film in print, a totally different medium in which we have to somehow translate the moving images and sounds we are talking about into words before we begin to analyze them?"

I'm not a film critic, but some of my friends are, so I post this here for their consideration. It sounds like a good idea to me, but what the heck do I know?

1 comment:

Gavin said...

I just got a CFP from an online ethnomusicology journal that included info on how to embed videos and music clips, so I imagine this type of thing will become more common. The line between journal and blog is already pretty blurry -- I see online articles cited all the time.